"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name, welcomes me." Matthew 18:5

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Kimi Update - August, 2012

Just thought I would post an update regarding Kimi's progress...

Kimi's development has turned another corner, as her development seems to be progressing at a faster rate!  She is really trying to use her words more to communicate, although she still has serious speech delays, and probably will for some time.  She is walking more - occasionally taking 6-7 steps without holding onto anything, and is becoming much more independent!  She can push a doll stroller around the house (see photo). 
Her forearm crutches have been ordered and should arrive by mid-September.  But for now, she is consistently using her walker without any problems.  Eating certain foods is still somewhat of a battle of the wills, but she is doing so much better in that area.  And she simply LOVES the pool - such a change from the little girl who was so terrified of water (baths) when we first got her!  And she no longer sleeps in a toddler bed; but now sleeps in the bottom bunk of the bunkbeds shared with her sister, Elizabeth.  She is learning to tie her shoes. She is getting better at coloring within the lines, and can trace letters.  When asked how old she is, she holds up five fingers and answers "bie" which means "five".  Oh, and she is great with scissors - in fact, she decided to cut her own bangs one day while I was out shopping, and her Daddy was watching the Olympics and not paying close enough attention to the silence in the next room (see photo)! 
Best of all, I finally feel like we are on the right track towards Kimi's starting school next Fall.  I have already talked to the staff at the school and have a plan in place.  Four days ago was the 18 month anniversary of the day we brought Kimi into our family; and, although the progress has not been as fast as I would have liked (patience is NOT one of my strong characteristics), we have certainly come a very, very long way!  And I am so very proud of my sweet girl!

3 comments:

  1. She certainly has come a log way! Way to go Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of her too!! She is a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's a doll! And she's so incredibly blessed to have you as her Mama! I am amazed at your little Kimi!

    My daughters have each cut their hair. My oldest when she was 3, cut perfect bangs across her forehead. My younger daughter cut her hair in school all the way up to her scalp! Thankfully it was just a tiny bit, but boy was she embarrassed as it was growing back in.

    ReplyDelete