As Kimi has gotten bigger, our lives have gotten MUCH busier. I used to be able to keep up with Facebook, others' blogs, news on various adoption websites, and Kimi's blog. Obviously, I haven't updated this blog for awhile, and that's the reason. Well, now that the holidays are over, the decorations are put away, and I finally have a Saturday without a bunch of scheduled activities, I am finally updating the blog.
Kimi is doing SO much more these days! She is in the first grade now. Recently, she was invited to a party at Hot Skates by one of her classmates. My first thought was not to RSVP, due to Kimi's disability. But, then, I thought, how many other first graders can actually roller skate?! So, I went ahead and RSVP'd. When we arrived at the rink, the little girl whose party it was, ran to Kimi, gave her a huge hug, and joyfully announced, "Look everybody! KIMI's HERE!" A bunch of little girls came running over to greet Kimi. Then, the first girl and another girl each took one of Kimi's hands and walked with her slowly to where the party was set up. I was absolutely amazed to see her with her peer group, so happy, and so accepted as one of the group. Then, I learned the rink had adjustable roller skates that would fit over Kimi's AFO's and shoes, plus a sort of walker on wheels made out of PVC pipe. Well, Kimi did several laps around the rink - just like all the other girls! It was just one of those moments ... one that I will never forget ... that will be forever etched in my mind. I mean, who would've thought?! Also, Kimi's speech has improved so much, that the other kids can understand her now! Although she is still about a year behind her peers at school, she continues to progress and is working very hard to catch up.
Here is a photo of Kimi taken at the rink that day, and a photo of Kimi and Elizabeth taken at Christmas.
So thankful for these two precious girls!

Tears of joy! So very very sweet. Way to go, Kimi!
ReplyDeleteSounds wonderful Kathy! And, I'm sure she is keeping you and Mike young. : - ))
ReplyDelete