Whew! What a day! We have Kimi! At 2:00, our group all piled in the van for the oh-so-surreal trip to the Civil Affairs Office in downtown Nanjing. Mike took some video out the window on the way there and continued to videotape as we walked into the building. Lily, our guide/translator, was leading the way and giving us instructions as we entered the main door of the building. There was a small room full of people and then, to my left, I saw several familiar-looking men and then, I realized, the little girl on one man's lap was OUR KIMI! She almost didn't seem real; so I almost didn't believe it until I realized they recognized Mike and me, based on the looks on their faces. I wasn't sure what protocol was supposed to be; but when the Orphanage Director smiled and nodded "yes", I just went right over and he simply handed her to me! They were telling her I was her Mama and Mike was her "Baba". She reminded me SO much of Elizabeth when we first met her. She looked at me, and then looked anywhere and everywhere else, and occasionally made eye contact with me again. She is absolutely beautiful! She had on two layers of clothes and a pink winter coat. The outer outfit was boy's superman cargo pants and boys oversized shoes. She had on a polka-dotted shirt. Underneath, she had on, what looked like, a new pair of yellow pajamas! Her hair is a couple of inches past her collar and they had already cut bangs. But she seemed somewhat overwhelmed. I gave her a little soft dog that Mandy bought for her. She held on tight to the dog. After about 5 minutes, Mike held out his hands and I handed her to him. She had the same look on her face and continued to look around as if she didn't want to make eye contact; as it was just too overwhelming for her.
We had a photo taken with her for the adoption certificate; and were able to ask the Orphanage Director questions. We found out she has known she was getting a family ever since we submitted the Letter of Intent. They also said she does not use a sippy cup; but prefers a baby bottle and her favorite food is rice powder, which she prefers someone spoon-feeds to her. Hmmmm. She is almost four! I asked the Director if he wanted to say something to her on camera in Mandarin. He smiled and took her in his arms and said some things to her. Another translator said that the Director said that he loved her very much and was going to miss her. He also told her to always remember him and to please come back someday after she is grown, to visit. He had tears in his eyes as he spoke to her. She was obviously VERY loved. He got her to laugh at one point and she has a distinct dimple on her right cheek!
When it was time to leave, she still hadn't cried or anything; she was just very quiet and still looking at me, Mike and at everything around her. We boarded the bus back to the hotel. After talking with the guide, she suggested we all meet in 20 minutes to walk over to a store. When I got Kimi upstairs, I realized she needed a diaper change. When I laid her down, she began to sob. I realized that reality was setting in. I tried to reassure her and was able to get her to stop; but it would recur unexpectedly. We met up with the group, when to the grocery store, where I bought rice powder, bottled water, and a baby bottle (since I hadn't brought one - whoever heard of an almost-four-year-old still on a bottle?!) I think she was really babied at the orphanage. Then, Kimi fell asleep before we were done shopping. We all had an authentic Chinese dinner with our guide and we let Kimi sleep. On the way back to the hotel, she woke up and had that concerned look on her face again. Back in our room, she began to sob again, poor girl. It broke my heart. I tried to give her the bottle, but she pushed it away. We tried several more times and her response was the same. I tried the sippy cup and she pushed it away also. We had given her a sucker at the Civil Affairs office an
d she ate that; but that was the last thing she had had! After holding her for quite a while, I decided to skip a bath and put her nightgown on her. She did NOT want to be laid down in the toddler bed! Well, today, she gets her way - she is going to sleep between us tonight. Mike is up in our room right now, singing her to sleep. I need to get back up there, so I'm ending this blog entry for the day. All is well; the transition was tougher for her than I thought it would be; but she is a sweet, precious little girl!
d she ate that; but that was the last thing she had had! After holding her for quite a while, I decided to skip a bath and put her nightgown on her. She did NOT want to be laid down in the toddler bed! Well, today, she gets her way - she is going to sleep between us tonight. Mike is up in our room right now, singing her to sleep. I need to get back up there, so I'm ending this blog entry for the day. All is well; the transition was tougher for her than I thought it would be; but she is a sweet, precious little girl!Here are some photos from today. We have been blessed, yet, again!
Our son was four and a half. He would not make eye contact and would sob much like Kimi. The second day was better.
ReplyDeleteRuby
WOOHOO!!!! Congrats! SOOO excited to see Kimi with you!! She sooo sweet! I'm glad things sound like they are going pretty well, I think she's being very brave all things considered!! Thanks goodness she slept!! I'm a bit suprised by the bottle too, but I bet she's eating well in no time!!! Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteWhat a pretty girl! Looks like you guys have it all under control. : - ) Have fun.
ReplyDeleteShe is so beautiful! I am sure you will get lots of smiles very soon.
ReplyDeleteDaisy
She looks beautiful. Tell her sister can not wait to see her.
ReplyDeleteWow, it finally happened! You have her!! It's normal for her to grieve, but she will be happy as she bonds with you, little by little. She obviously misses the man who took care of her, just like Anna Marie missed her "ayi". But at least you have her now and can begin the bonding process! She is very beautiful!! And I'm sure once you get her home, you will have her drinking from a cup and eating real food!! God bless you! Keep the photos coming!!!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Barb
That part of the journey is over. Kimi's grieving will grow less as her attachment to you gets stronger. Not that this helps as your child sobs. We will see that dimple soon. Love the photos.
ReplyDeleteOur thoughts and love to you all
Sandi and Aislinn
She is really pretty! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteWhat a precious lil thing! Your descriptions of your initial moments with Kimi took me back to when we first met Hadley...She did not cry either. She looked stunned for quite some time. I'm so happy for you all and can't wait to hear more! Sending prayers and love your way!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Robin
I am sitting here with tears of joy in my eyes as I read your blog and about meeting Kimi for the first time. What a precious experience - you just gave birth!!! Congratulations. The Hammond's are sending their love and wishing you all the best.
ReplyDeleteYour first day with Kimi was exactly our first day with Claire....almost 3 years ago.
ReplyDelete