"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name, welcomes me." Matthew 18:5

Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 8 in China










Wow! Day 8 already! Its amazing how slow the time goes prior to traveling to China, in comparison with how fast it goes once you are here! Today, we all took our kids back to the clinic to have their TB tests read. Kimi's was negative (Thank you, Lord!) Then, our group walked over the bridge off Shamian Island through the marketplace all the way to the pearl market. We saw some of the foods people eat here - some of the most unusual mushrooms, ants, scorpions (used for making soup - they remove the venomous stingers and cook them - supposed to be good for rheumatism). I have attached a few photos and video. We ate lunch at McDonald's (had to have something American after seeing all those critters) and then finally, got to do some shopping at Jordon's! Then, a bunch of us went to the Chinese Restaurant down from the White Swan Hotel. (Barb and Pam - you might recall this restaurant: it is the one with all the strange critters in bins - can you believe we actually ate there??) But it was fun - ate with chopsticks and chose items on the menu we were somewhat familiar with. Trust me - it was nothing like China Buffet! While we were at the restaurant, Kimi sat there and kept giggling - not exactly sure why. But she enjoyed watching the other kids in our group. Afterward, we went to Lucy's and had apple pie ala mode! Kimi actually ate some "rice powder" mixed in with her formula today - not much, though; about 1/4 bottle. But it was THAT much. And this afternoon, Kimi sat on the floor of our room playing with a crinkly red bag - putting toys in it and dumping them out. You could almost see her little brain making lots of new connections! It is like watching a baby develop in "fast forward" mode. She has come so far in the last 8 days! She still shuts down every so often; but those times are starting to be fewer than the times she is interacting with us and others.

3 comments:

  1. Kathy,

    I remember those bins full of creepy crawly things that you could order to eat!! I saw Rachel and Elizabeth walking in the hall at school today. I asked Rachel if Elizabeth could come home from school with Anna Marie this week, and we have tentatively scheduled Thursday for a play date!

    The 3 year olds went well on Sunday. I told the story of the Good Samaritan using some of Anna Marie's people. The kids loved it because I used some red lip gloss to put blood on the guy who was beaten up. You know how they all love stories with "bad guys"! I wiped his blood with wipes and put a Hello Kitty band aid on him. It was so cute...as I saw Connor leaving he was showing his Dad the paper he did where they put band aids on the man's boo boos. He said, "He's the guy who got beaten up by the bad guys!!"

    We can't wait to have you back!!! Ella was there too and I think she and Kimi will be good friends some day.

    It's good to see Kimi's smile!

    Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are brave travelers, at least from a culinary standpoint. Our guide had told us to avoid the shops on Shamian because there were so many scorpions in the boxes. He directed us to a market off the island that he said was much safer. We never made it there, but it looks like you did.

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that restaurant. Got take away. I was wondering why the basket was moving - toads. Love the Qingping markets.

    Kimi has such a cheeky face, a real joy to the family.

    Enjoy what is left of your time in China.

    Thoughts
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete