"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name, welcomes me." Matthew 18:5

Saturday, July 16, 2011

First Dental Exam



Mike took Kimi for her very first dental visit yesterday. I had absolutely NO idea how she would deal with a dental exam and cleaning, since she will not even allow a spoon in her mouth! I tried to explain to her ahead of time that Daddy was going to pick her up and take her to see a special doctor who was going to make her teeth all clean and pretty. I even practiced saying, "Open your mouth real wide so I can see all your pretty teeth" and she would do it....okay, for about 2 seconds....so he was going to have to work REALLY fast. Well, the pediatric dentist first took them to the "quiet room" (yeah, right - THAT room is actually used to keep the MAIN room quieter!) While Mike held Kimi, the dentist proceeded to examine her teeth and gums and was able to do a pretty good job of cleaning. She cried most of the time, according to Mike, but mostly, it was a "You are really irritating me"-type cry...NOT an "I'm scared to death" -type cry. The dentist said she has three cavities and removed a lot of plaque. I am amazed he found nothing worse than that, considering she drank bottles lying on her back for almost four years! So, we now have an appointment to take her to the hospital on August 12th (so she can be totally sedated) to get the three cavities filled, get full mouth x-rays, and for him to do a more thorough cleaning. He also wants us to do a more thorough job of brushing her teeth; but that is very difficult when she keeps pushing the toothbrush out of her mouth with her tongue. So, we'll need to work on that skill!


Also, regarding "Gelly", the little girl who had heart surgery earlier this week: everyone's prayers for a successful surgery and fast recovery have been answered! She might actually be released from the hospital this evening!

2 comments:

  1. The sedation is a good idea. My carpool mate, who is a math teacher, is also a dental technician. She asked a pediatric tech once what they did different from a regular one and the woman said, honestly? we just listen to them cry. So better that Kimi be out than put through that.

    Such great news about Gelly!

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad that kids have to go through all that without sedation. I can't imagine someone like Kimi, without language and developmentally-delayed, and dealing with SO many other new things - having to deal with, yet, another painful procedure. Although I don't like the idea of having her sedated again; at least she won't feel any pain, and we will get everything done, dentally, in one trip.

    ReplyDelete