"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name, welcomes me." Matthew 18:5

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Our trip to the International Adoption Clinic today

First, thanks for all your prayers on Kimi's (and my) behalf. I had been dreading this day since we made the decision to adopt again! But we made it through the blood draws this afternoon!

Kimi's appointment with the International Adoption Clinic doctors went really well! I was amazed at how the doctor put Kimi at ease and was able to do such a thorough physical examination without her getting upset at all! She found little things even I had not noticed (a little pin hole on the cartilage of one ear and a little scar from an injury of some sort on the other). She said she appeared slightly cross-eyed and the little "pin hole" could mean auditory issues. But she also said audiology and opthalmology appointments can wait on the bigger stuff. She agreed that Kimi appears to be pretty sharp; just terribly neglected. She also said she might need a little more surgery where her spina bifida scar is; but that will depend on the results of some of the tests coming up at the Spina Bifida Clinic appointment on 3/29. She said it appeared the raised area of her scar is all fatty tissue, which COULD mean the original mass was primarily fatty tissue and not nerves! (Wouldn't THAT be great!) She said Kimi is right on target for height and weight compared to American children her age!! That was a big surprise! Her 8-year-old sister isn't even ON the American charts, and is at the bottom of the Chinese charts. We discussed her delays, her lack of language, her eating issues (will only take a bottle), her seemingly lack of attachment, etc. We also met with the person who handles speech and eating issues, as well as the doctor who understands attachment issues. The good news there is the "attachment" doctor believes Kimi just needs more time and attention developing sociologically within our family; getting lots of reciprocating interaction. She said true attachment disorder is extremely rare and suggested several books, which I plan to read. The doctors also believed Kimi is understanding more than we realize!

Bottom line: There is someone near our home who they recommended for OT, PT, Speech and eating issues! I also met with our daycare people today about Kimi's development needs. (They were WONDERFUL with Elizabeth back when we brought her home from China.) So, we will probably just go with them and the person recommended by the Riley staff. I will be checking back with the doctors in 6 months for follow-up.

Finally, at the end, we went to the lab for the blood draws. There were SO many tubes! They had to test her for all the standard diseases, plus run titers on her immunizations administered in China, plus one to learn her blood type for potential future surgery. One assistant held Kimi (I refused to hold her, out of concern it would negatively affect the trust relationship I'm trying to build with her), while the other person drew her blood. I had put the prescription cream on her little arms (to prevent pain at the site) about 45 minutes before. When they drew her blood, she really hollered and fought them; but, to me, she seemed more mad than in pain, which surprised me. (It was all I could do to keep from crying!) As soon as they were done, I had a bottle ready. She understands "all done!" and happily began drinking the bottle. I said, "Let's go home!" and we did! As soon as we got home, she pulled up her sleeves and removed the band-aids HERSELF! She has a bad bruise on one arm, poor girl. But thankfully, THAT's over!!

3 comments:

  1. Crossing my fingers on the fatty tissue thing-that would be great! Good news on the attachment forecast, too.

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good news it sounds like, Kathy! I'm Praising God for His blessings!!! :) You are such a good mama!!! Sending you all big hugs!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! The "cyber" hugs are appreciated! Things continue to go better as we work toward establishing some sort of "normal" routine, if there is such a thing. Robin, we will have to talk. Email me your phone number privately.

    ReplyDelete