Kimi continues to progress more and more each day. Today, we had our BIG Spina Bifida Clinic appointment, where we spent all day and met with all the Specialists: Developmental Pediatrician, Neurosurgery, Urology, Orthopedics, PT, OT and the Orthotics people. First, Kimi had a renal ultrasound and spine and hip x-rays. (She will be having an MRI in May.) Then, we saw the doctors, one at a time. Most of the news was very good! Kimi has NO kidney damage at all!!! What an answer to prayer THAT was! Also, no scoliosis. One hip joint is slightly out of place; but the ortho doctor said it might improve with walking. They also went ahead and did the casting for her AFOs (ankle-foot orthotics). We had to choose a color for the lining and the velcro, so I chose pink for her! She did great throughout the appointment. I was especially amazed at how she watched intently as they did the casting for the AFOs! She reached for my hand and held it the entire time. She seems to be trusting me more and more. She will get the AFOs on 4/19 - so that MAY be the day she takes her very first step!! I will be sure to have our video camera ready!
We also learned that none of her vaccinations were effective that she received in China, unfortunately, so they will all have to be repeated. And, thankfully, she has no undiagnosed illnesses or parasites. She still needs a few more urology tests before we really know the complete picture in that department. They also plan to do "language therapy" instead of traditional speech therapy. We haven't made any progress in the feeding department, but she WILL drink from a water bottle now with the kind of spout you push down and pull up, thanks to our wonderful daycare provider and a little peer pressure.
One thing I have definitely learned with this adoption is to take one small step at a time and not look too far ahead. I have also learned to take the time to simply enjoy having this sweet little girl to love, and not get too caught up in all the medical "stuff". I truly believe that our love for her will be what ultimately heals all her wounds and will help to get her where she needs to be.
I have attached a photo taken a week ago - the first photo of our ENTIRE family: Mike and me, our five kids, our thirteen grandchildren, and two sons-in-law - 22 in all!
What a big beautiful family you have! You are so blessed. I love seeing the updates for Kimi. You are so right! One day, one step, one milestone at a time. PTL for no kidney damage and drinking from a water bottle!!! YAY Kimi!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a lot of good news! I can't wait to see her first steps!! I love cuddling with her in the 3's class. She is so snuggly! We're having a great time in California!
ReplyDeleteI've been anxious to hear your experience at the sb clinic...sounds like great news all around and sounds like she's making baby steps forward...let's talk soon! I've been thinking of you guys alot lately!!
ReplyDeleteLots of good news-congratulations!
ReplyDeleteRuby